Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Let's Talk About My Epic Weekend, Tough Mudders and All!

The body is really an incredible machine, but we already knew that right?
Well, this weekend, mine proved that it is several times over.

Let's backtrack to last weekend, when I did back to back long runs --18 trail miles with almost 2700 feet of elevation on Saturday (on a trail that was mistakenly labeled as having 350 feet of elevation)--yeah, I'm still mad) and Sunday with 10 road miles. Tuesday I did trail hill repeats with friends, Thursday I ran three "easy" miles, and the next day was Friday.

FRIDAY

I drove down to the Tough Mudder Atlanta venue at Bouckaert Farms in Fairburn, Georgia. The I85 highway collapse didn't pose much of a problem getting there, surprisingly. I know, right?

Met up with Sue Harvey Brown, director of Sports Marketing at Merrell, who is amazing not only at her job, but at doing Tough Mudders. (This weekend she ran two fulls, one right after the other, worked all day, and then crewed for someone during Toughest Mudder from 12am until who knows when. Then she worked a full day the next day. ) We convened with Coach T. Mud and a phenomenal film crew to shoot an episode of Coachified! Remember the one from last year? Here it is, in case you forgot! That was hard enough, especially since we had just done an almost two hour workout beforehand!


Let's revisit this craziness from Friday. 

It was all about trail running, and boy did we trail run, and meadow-run and--wait for it...LET's DO SOME HILL REPEATS! Yeah! Hill repeats!

Hill repeats? Ya'll know I just did hill repeats on Tuesday? Like a million of them the other day, right? That was all in my head of course, because I was going to do what they asked me to do, ponder the sanity of it all silently, and wonder when my legs were finally going to fail.

It was also blazing hot--like a furnace with an occasional breeze. And one of the crew members found a dried up antler. Hmmm...how did it get there? Don't want to know.

We ran up and down a beautiful meadow, with a billion dollar drone following us. I tried not to gasp as if I were dying, attempting my very best air of nonchalance while running with Coach T. Mud--yeah, I'm cool---but I can't breathe, but I'm gonna keep acting like I can until I pass out...

We bantered and chatted and went back and forth, and after a thousand takes, Weston, head creative film genius of the Coachified series was finally satisfied. Action! Take 20. Action! Cut! Take 40!

So back to the hill repeats. Although I was terrified I wouldn't be able to actually do multiple runs up that very long hill to the Balls to the Wall Obstacle, I was pleasantly surprised that I was. My legs and lungs were burning to holy hell, but they performed as asked again and again. The body is incredible.
It took a few hours of shooting to get it done (for a TWO MINUTE VIDEO--how do people do this for a living???). I find myself in awe of people who do this day after day. I was exhausted after five hours! So cool to be involved in such a neat project.



So that was Friday. Saturday was the big day!

SATURDAY

My friends drove down from North Georgia to join me for the Tough Mudder Full, along with some filming and photos for Merrell. We had a blast in the blasting heat. We got dirty. I failed at Everest and Balls to the Wall AGAIN, and was disappointed but such is life. My friends blasted their way through some pretty difficult obstacles and were truly tough women. It was awesome to witness the sheer strength of body and will that allows people to get through challenges both mental and physical. I'm so proud of my friends! It took us a long time, but all of us finished and received our coveted headbands. I even did (King of the Swingers for a fifth time, even though each time I see the obstacle coming up, I get really nauseous and lightheaded, and my life flashes before me.)


Sue, Merrell marvel and Tough Mudder addict somehow convinced me that I needed to do a SECOND Tough Mudder on Sunday so I could get my back to back training in. In my head, I was like-"Um, is she crazy? Does she know that my legs probably won't work? Or my entire body after Saturday?" I had planned to push through Saturday anyway, what with the adrenaline of the whole shebang, but Sunday was an entirely different question. To her, I said, "Maybe I will" and "We'll see" and "Probably just the half" and "Yeah, ok if you think so..."
I went to bed like dis

But like a dutiful runner training for a BIG, HUGE, GIGANTIC, SCARY race in August (TransRockies 6 Day), I knew that I had to get the training in, provided I wasn't injured or on the verge of injury. So when I woke up on Sunday morning, I was only sore in my upper body. The legs felt "great" (relatively speaking) and they were ret to go!

SUNDAY

So, long story short, I did another Tough Mudder on Sunday,  leaving out the obstacles that might have caused my arms to be pulled out of their sockets. It was incredible. I spent the first few miles easing into a nice pace, helping out here and there, chatting people up, carrying a guy on my back, and carrying a heavy-ass log around a circle by myself. There were a few folks that recognized me from the CW Tough Mudder Special on TV and that was really cool! See the short CW SEED piece here!

The last few miles I spent enjoying Augustus Gloop (my new favorite obstacle, that everyone should do because it's just so damned AWESOME) and joyfully skipping King of the Swingers, Balls, and Funky Monkey because once a week is enough for those.

Here's what I learned this weekend:

The body, MY BODY, is able. I've been discovering that all I have to do is ask, and it will oblige. I just have to get out of my own mental way, and once I do that, my body will do as it was meant.
That, my friends, is the power of training, belief in self (even if it has to come partially from someone else first), and the nature of the human body. It wants to move, and for most of us, it can. We just have to believe it and prepare it to do so.



















24 comments:

  1. OMG Mirna, you're incredible. I cannot fathom doing even part of what you manage, and you still seem so joyous about everything. That's such a victory - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley! This is the week I take a break and eat cake!

      Delete
  2. Hope I can be half as fierce in July!! Yeeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to be great. WE ARE GOING TO ROCK LI!!

      Delete
  3. Mirna - What a totally amazing week and weekend for you!! It is amazing to see what your body can do when you are training well! You are an inspiration! I want to be like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Thanks for saying that! It definitely is all in the training (with a little bit of crazy to go along with it!)

      Delete
  4. Saw you on Millionnaire , I'll be reading . Have wanted to run/ jog ... I'll try jump rope .. I got motivated by your intro spoken on the show . Horrah ~ so cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! How cool that you found me through the Millionaire show! It was so fun. Keep smiling and being authentic!

      Delete
  5. Wow. That's amazing. After doing this you must feel you can conquer anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I'll conquer the world after i take a nap lol!

      Delete
  6. I just discovered you via a story on CNN online. I was inspired by that and now reading your blog even more so. I'm a 62 year old guy who has spent the last five years working way too much, flying 150,000 miles a year, eating in restaurants, staying in hotels 220 nights a year and gaining weight. I took a stand at work and now on my travels I make time for a run at least every other day. I look for inspiration in others and I find your story and journey enlightening, fun, and inspirational. Keep it up. And so will I!
    Camron, old guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that you realized what wasn't working for you and then made a change. You stood up at work, but you stood up for yourself. Kudos to you for being great! And do keep in touch!

      Delete
  7. Wow!!! Your stories and upbeat attitude is incredibly motivating! So happy to have found your blog! Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have sat here reading your story and successes and "paths" (pun intended). You absolutely rock!!!! I don't know what your doctor has said since that visit, about your health, but your drive, your ambition, YOUR ATTITUDE OF POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT, they all most assuredly with allllll these miles have changed it all. I find you unimaginably inspiring and look forward to keeping up with you....well, at least here on your blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last physical was awesome! totally normal metabolic numbers including blood pressure and blood sugar. No inflammation. Great health! And I feel it too. Thanks for the kudos, and I'll continue trying my best to pay it forward!

      Delete
  9. You are amazing. I blew out a knee and was in so much pain I started doing strength training and cardio to build up the remaining support tissue. Everyone said "but you're so overweight, and you're almost 60 - that's not going to help". It did, I'm not skinny (my 34 year old husband thinks skinny is like hugging a bag of antlers) but I'm STRONG, something I didn't think was within me. You go girl! author L.B. Johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you listened to YOUR body and not the naysayers...there will always be naysayers. Good job on regaining your strength and really believing in yourself!

      Delete
  10. Fantastic job Mirna ! I am injured right now so I am running vicariously through you ....though that's wishful thinking really, because I cannot imagine myself able to do 1 Though Mudder, not even thinking what 2 Tough Mudders back to back would be !

    Can't wait to be back on my ankle and log some Strava workouts... in the mean time, back to pool running and reading your exploits !

    You go girl !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're awesome! It is so nice to see someone represent exercise as a means for fitness and not just vanity. You're my hero. :-) Keep running!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You, wonderful lady, are such an inspiration. I first found your blog through a feed on Facebook about the nasty email you received. Your positive response lead me to your blog. I have been utterly impressed and inspired. I will be lacing up shoes after 10+ years of inactivity and weight gain. Your positive nature and happiness over the distance, the experience and not the speed is what the motivator is. Looking forward to you future words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found you blog a few weeks ago and immediately went to the beginning to read them all! I just got caught up, exciting to be up to date, but a bummer to not have my got to reading material! My hubby and I recently started on a journey to improve our health. Along the way I started running, then I found your story. I never have been a runner, but I have always intertained the idea in the back of my mind.
    Your story has helped me see the two goals we have set (5k ths fall and a half next spring) as truly achievable and worthwhile. I am also excited about your book this fall!

    Keep blogging and I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete